Wednesday, September 21, 2011

An Interesting Day

So, it's been a while since I've wandered here to write a blog... and for that I apologize.  I've had good intentions, and even started one on all the things that are different here, but I just haven't dedicated enough time to actually finish and post anything.  But not today!  I made up my mind about mid-day that I was going to write something after school because, as the title suggests, it was an interesting day today.  You may be asking, Interesting good or interesting bad?  Well, my answer to that would be... both.  One of the things about working with kids is that there can be so many ups and downs in one day.  It's kind of crazy actually, how you can be cross with them one minute and laughing with them the next!

Well, for starters, we had our class photo taken today.  I wasn't aware of this prior to coming to school, and since we have P.E. on Wednesday mornings I decided to wear my "trainers" (tennis shoes).  All I can say is that I'm glad I was standing behind the students because I'm hoping that my shoes won't be too evident in the picture!  The timetable for the pictures kind of messed up our morning schedule a bit, so we saved P.E. until after the picture because the children change cloths for P.E.  Which brings me to my next item to write about... the fact that the children change in the classroom.  Talk about awkward!!!  I'm bit more used to it now, but the first time they started taking off their cloths in the classroom I started mentally freaking out just a little!  I kept thinking, Is this even legal?!  Turns out that Year 4 is the last year that they do this.  Starting in Year 5, the girls go the bathrooms to change while the boys stay in the classroom.  Anyway... my cooperating teacher was playing music while they were changing, and I witnessed a few of the boys strutting around, topless, and trying to walk like models.  I think they were trying to imitate women, actually.  I found this to be both awkward and funny at the same time.  What did I tell ya?  Interesting day, right?!

So, once we finally made it outside for P.E. (they don't have an indoor gym here), my cooperating teacher had them work on creating a "skeleton dance".  We've been learning about the skeleton, and at the end of next week there is a student exhibition so we're hoping to preform the dance for it.  Let me tell you, watching these kids walk like skeletons and come up with dance moves is the greatest!  They are seriously so stinking cute!  I'm sure you can guess that the first half of the day was definitely the good interesting part of my day.  Well, the second half wasn't quite as great, and by the end of the day I was ready to be done!  Mid-day was a blur to me to be honest, and I can't quite remember exactly what we did... but the last session?  Ugh.  It was I.C.T. (which is basically technology class) and nothing seemed to be going right.  A great deal of the computers weren't working, and the class was absolutely chaotic.  Ok, so maybe it isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be, but the kids were piled 3-5 per computer!  There was also one or two of them wandering around aimlessly (which makes me laugh now looking back on it), and here I was trying to get them with a group or something.  Yeah, interesting day to say the least.

After all the frazzle dazzle of I.C.T. it was finally time to go home, and I was so ready for it!  But then, right at the end, something happened that totally made me smile and think, It's all worth it.  We were walking down to where the students line up for the buses, and one of the boys started teaching me how to say some Spanish words.  I was having a heck of a time correctly pronouncing the word for "bottle" (as in water bottle), and it's so much fun to have your students try to teach you something for a change.  He laughed at me, but he also persisted until I managed to get it right.  Gosh, I love this.  Even though it's challenging, and tiring, and frustrating sometimes... I really do love it, interesting and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment