Monday, September 5, 2011

The Hill

I don't think I have mentioned this on the blog yet, but Almuñécar is a very mountainous place.  As a matter of fact, the part of the city where I live is practically built into the mountain... sort of.  Basically I live at the top of a very big hill.  It's about a 5-10 minute walk from the school, which is great, but going into town has proven to be quite the hassle.  Today is my 23rd birthday, and to celebrate I went shopping for groceries, haha!  Not too exciting, but I needed to get a little bit of food to live off of, ya know?  So anyway, my roommate dropped me off in town on his way out to Granada, and before he left he showed me where the grocery store was and explained how to get back home.  After eating I decided that I didn't really feel like exploring too much yet, so I headed to the grocery store to grab a few things and then head back.  

As a side note, while I was at the grocery store I learned how to say cereal in Spanish.  Apparently I was pronouncing it wrong, because when I asked for help finding it the lady was really confused and brought me to some mayonnaise instead.  I finally got my point across when I told her that you eat it with milk, haha!

So anyway, like I was saying, I bought my groceries and headed in the direction of home... back towards the hill.  I walked along the ocean for a while and finally I came to where I was supposed to go up the hill.  Now, let me tell you, this hill is something fierce.  It's no ordinary hill, not like the kind you would find in Minnesota or anything like that.  This is a mountainous hill, and it really stinks to walk up it with a bag of groceries!  I started walking... and walking... and breathing heavy... and walking... and wanting to take a break but knowing that I should probably just push through it... and walking some more.  The thing is, I don't have any other choice while I'm here.  I don't have a car and I live at the top of a giant hill for the next three months.  Therefore, I have come to a conclusion... Not only am I going to come home with a great tan, but I will also come home in great shape from all the walking up and down hills that I'm going to have to be doing in the coming months!  Wish me luck as I begin this strenuous workout plan!

2 comments:

  1. I can just hear you telling me this story over the phone! Kelly, you're going to have an amazing time! Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder woman! :) Your are going to have very shapely legs.

    ReplyDelete